Indications & Instructions
HemaQuell Hemostat is a resorbable, water-soluble surgical implant material which is used for the control of bleeding from bone surfaces. It is a sterile blend of alkylene oxide copolymers.
HemaQuell Hemostat is indicated as an implant for the control of bleeding from bone surfaces.
Mode of Action
HemaQuell Hemostat achieves hemostasis by way of tamponade, physically blocking exposed bleeding bone surfaces with a coating of a malleable barrier that is resorbed in 2-7 days.
- Surgical sites that are infected
- The use of the product to provide structural support to bone or to stop bone growth
Warnings and Precautions
- HemaQuell Hemostat is provided sterile for single use only. Do not resterilize.
- Discard open, unused or damaged packages.
- Protect the product from heat. Store at 0 to 32 degrees Celsius (32 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit).
Instructions for Use
- HemaQuell Hemostat is ready for use as delivered. It will soften slightly if manipulated by hand.
- To extrude HemaQuell Hemostat from the applicator tube, remove the protective cap, then rotate the wheel at the base of the tube clockwise to expose the desired amount of product. Do not rotate the wheel past the built-in stop or try to force the base out of the tube.
- Apply HemaQuell Hemostat directly to the bleeding bone surface using a crayonlike application in sufficient quantity to control bleeding. If necessary, reinforce anchorage by pressing the hemostat into the defect.
- Alternatively, extrude HemaQuell Hemostat from the tube, mold as needed and apply by hand or with a surgical instrument.
- Since HemaQuell Hemostat is water-soluble, aggressive irrigation at the application site may lead to breakthrough bleeding and reapplication may be required.
- Depending on the size of the defect and the porosity of the bone, multiple tubes may be required.
HemaQuell Hemostat is sterilized via gamma irradiation. It is provided sterile in a clear envelope for delivery into a sterile field prior to use.